Sunday, September 25, 2011

Why the heck am I doing this?

I decided to write a blog about Apple for two reasons. One, I want to defend Apple against those people who try and shoot it down as a corporate rip-off, and two, I want to discuss specifications, features, and design of Apple products as well as overall user-experience.

I’ve had an Apple computer since 2003. My mac mini is still running today. At the time, the only available OS (if you don’t count Linux) are Windows XP and Mac OSX.4 (Tiger). OSX Tiger’s interface was too superior compared to Windows XP. I have nothing against Windows XP, and I still regard that version as the 2nd greatest Windows release of all time; Windows 98/2000/ME would be the best of all time, obviously.

I am slightly offended by those who take cheap shots at Apple. Well, quite frankly, I think I am more affected than the company itself. It’s crazy, I know. When people say that Apple products are an absolute ripoff, I beg to differ. I know it is expensive. I know it has LOWER specs than your ‘conventional’ Windows PC, but that does not mean it is a ripoff. Refer to my other blogpost called “Apple is not overpriced” for details.

Defending Apple is not my passion, but I know that it is the right thing. (I know, I sound like a corporate attorney or a PR guy.) I am doing this not for the company, the company can cease to exist and Steve Jobs will still have enough money for his cancer treatments for the next 200 years. I am doing this for the consumers. Those who are Apple die-hards. Those who want a piece of every Apple product from the minute they hit the shelves. Guys, Girls, and everyone in between: if you criticize Apple and you never HAD one, please don’t talk crap. Get an Apple, compare it with your traditional product, then we’ll start talking.  

8 comments:

  1. Hey Lance! I'm an Apple user as well, but aside from it being faster and having less technical difficulties than Windows, I know absolutely nothing about it. It'll be very interesting to read more about defending Apple products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lance. I am commenting on your blog right now. I see your writing about apple. That is good. I know someone who doesn't like apple. A certain communist who is going to unleash his anger and rage and quiet fury as he reads your blog. I will look forward and sideways and backwards to reading your blog. I want to say something extra, but I cannot as my speech is currently restricted right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm a PC user but I do believe Apple is not an overpriced product. I'm interested to see what else you say about Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use both OSX and Windows-based computers. My first computer was a MacPlus, but my desktop at home today is a Windows machine. Generally speaking, I prefer Macs over PCs because they are easier to use. Sometimes it is difficult to convince people that Apple is a good value. I'm looking forward to seeing how your blog develops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really a Mac user since I'm more of a gamer and most PC games are compatible with Windows, however, I have used a Mac before and the UI is really smooth and fun to use. I want a Mac but I am too poor for one. I believe it's not overpriced either. You're basically paying for durability and it lasts for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a PC at home, and I don't really know how to use a Mac.

    Many of my friends use Macs though, and they all like them much more than they like PCs. Everyone tells me Macs are much better for "artsy-type" functions, and since I'm working on my portfolio right now, I am definitely looking forward to learning more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read through Andrew's comment and literally laughed out loud. I wonder what said "communist" would say in response to your blog. I understand that this said "communist" is doing a blog that opposes yours. Anyways, I honestly want a Mac, but my brother is against any sort of apple product. He has even given up his ipod and bought a zune. Perhaps I should show my brother your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherise, this said "communist" thinks that your brother is truly a genius.

    ReplyDelete