Sunday, October 9, 2011

You got a friend in me, you got a friend in me: Steve Jobs Tribute pt. 2

Steve Job's career in Apple came to an abrupt end in 1986 after he was ousted as CEO. However, Steve did not completely stop from exercising his vision. Even though he parted ways with computers for a while, he entered another industry: the film animation industry.

Steve bought the computer animation division of Lucasfilm in 1986. Under his management, the newly independent company became known as Pixar Animation Studios. Steve Jobs served as the Chairman and CEO.

Under his management, Pixar Animation Studios became a staple of every kid's life. In 1991, Pixar partnered with Disney to produce one of the greatest titles of all time: Toy Story 1. With only 30 employees and limited equipment, they were able to produce a world-class film that captivated everybody, regardless of age, sex, color, and language.

The company went on to release more memorable films such as Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc, The Incredibles, and Cars among others.

Steve finally left the company after Disney bought Pixar for $7.4 billion dollars. This deal made Steve the largest single stockholder of Disney Corporation, his stake in Disney is twice the size of his stake in Apple Computer.

Steve's legacy in Pixar is unparalleled. Not only did he change the computer industry through his previous work in Apple, he changed how people view animated films through Pixar. He gave us the opportunity to go on an adventure with Buzz and Woody, help Marlin find Nemo, and cry with Mr. Fredricksen as he remembers his life with his wife.

7 comments:

  1. I think the thing that hits me most about Steve Jobs is that he was so rich yet he died so young. I know that he suffered from complications due to cancer but these days it seems like you can buy a longer lifespan as long as you have the money, like Magic Johnson.
    -Angelica P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve Jobs is definitely one of the most influential people in the world. While I have never owned an Apple product in my life, I deeply respect the man. The fact that he owns a share of Disney Productions makes him even more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I didn't know Steve was apart of Disney Pixar movies! He is such a genius and he I think he is even more talented and amazing because he worked with Disney. But even if he didn't I'd still respect him either way. I love the Apple products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember I researched this when I did a project on Pixar last year in history. All the kids in the world owe their childhood to Steve Jobs, and I know I definitely do. It was the reason why I covered Pixar for my first blog post. Jobs influenced us so much through Pixar, yet so many people are unaware of his role in the animation studio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember hearing about how Steve Jobs acquired Pixar a few days ago. It is a shame that someone like Job's had to die, but it is about the fact that he lived and gave us something in return that matters the most. And I am glad he changed Lucasfilms, now we have something even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lance,
    I agree; Steve Job is influential. I am a fan of Pixar! Have you heard about his autobiography? You should review about that. I know he has awesome morals and quotes. It would be nice to see you review the book.

    ReplyDelete